Top Ten Outdoor Adventures in Charleston
Charleston is a city that attracts many tourists with its Southern charm, historic sites, and great year-round weather. There’s no better way to experience all that our city has to offer than to participate in an adrenaline-pumping outdoor activity. Venture into the “Great Outdoors” for these ten activities to add a little adrenaline and adventure to your Charleston vacation.
- Arthur Ravenel Bridge Not only is this bridge the symbolic structure in the Charleston skyline but also the site of the annual Cooper River Bridge Run. Walk, run, or bike over the Cooper River from either the Charleston or Mount Pleasant side, and enjoy a beautiful view of Charleston’s iconic skyline, the Charleston Harbor, and Fort Sumter.
- Charleston Harbor Boat Cruise Whether it’s a relaxing on a dinner cruise or searching for shells and shark’s teeth on an adventure tour, experience the Charleston Harbor, other waterways, and secluded beaches while kicking your feet up on the water.
- Charleston Zip Line Adventures Want to take your adrenaline to the next level? This family-owned local business is a great way to get everyone involved. Fly through the trees on seven different zip lines ending with a 750 feet zip! This unforgettable adventure is truly unlike any other and is guaranteed to be the highlight of any trip.
- Kayaking on Shem Creek There’s no better way to view the shrimp boats on the creek and the wildlife in the creek than right on the water. Even if you don’t have a particular destination in your mind, rent, buy, or lease kayaks to experience the coast at your own pace. Don’t be surprised when a dolphin swims up right next to your kayak!
- Paddle Boarding at Isle of Palms This full body exercise is a fun way to ride the waves at the beach. The balance, strength, and energy it requires provide an amazing workout. Don’t worry if you fall off, though, because then it’s just a perfect excuse to go for a quick swim.
- Running tour Why walk when you can run? Run through the streets of Charleston to cover more land and view more landmarks than you ever could on one walking tour. Plus, you’ll be getting a great workout while you’re at it!
- Bicycle Downtown For a more relaxing tour of Downtown, rent bicycles to ride around for the day. We recommend visiting beautiful sites like the Battery and Waterfront Park for a picnic surrounded by beautiful scenery. This is definitely an easier and eco-friendlier alternative to driving and parking, as well. One point for Mother Earth!!
- Wild Blue Ropes Adventure Park Conquer 72 different obstacles over the course of your suspended adventure. And don’t worry, the challenges range in difficulty, so this is perfect for everyone in the family. Plus, check out their specials for date nights and night climbs that are sure to make your adventure stand out!
- Deep Sea Fishing Dolphins, wahoo, and sailfish, oh my! For any fishermen (and fisherwomen) in the family, chartering a boat to fish nearshore or offshore is a great option that is bound to produce some fantastic memories.
- Fort Sumter Did you know that the first shots of the Civil War were fired at Fort Sumter? You can catch a ferry out to this island fortification and retrace not only Charleston’s history but also our country’s history.
Written by Madison Baxley, College of Charleston Marketing Major